Thursday, February 2, 2012

Who is this guy?

so, this last weekend at Fuelschool (fuelschool.blogspot.com) we were challenged to know more about Jesus; to seek out his story.  This is what I am all about here.  Who is this guy, Jesus?  John chapter 1 talks about Jesus as the "logos" - the spoken word of God.  "In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with God and the WORD was God!"  Jesus says in John 14:9 Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" 


So, Jesus is God.  I don't mean he's just divine in nature but that he is YHWH.  He is the GREAT I AM, the one who spoke the world into being, who breathed life into Adam, who was a friend to Abraham and a Deliverer to Israel.  Jesus is the very Creator, El Elyon, God Most High, stepping into creation.  Wow!  That's huge.  No, I mean, think about it!  Thats HUGE!  But the very mind-blowing thing is, that he was also a man.  Actually, I should say, Jesus IS a man.  He stepped into his creation and took on human form!  And after his resurrection he received a glorified body.  The disciples could touch him and he ate with them.  When he descended into heaven, he went there in a physical body.  He is returning in a physical body to set up his kingdom here on earth, as a real man in a real body.


So, this is exciting to me!!  Both aspects.  And I am exploring the four gospels again specifically to search out who this man really is.  I don't know if anyone will want to read this blog, but it will be good for me journal my findings.


On my first morning, as I was reading Matthew 2, my attention was drawn to the fact that the gentiles (the wise men) knew of the birth of the King of the Jews, but the very people he came to rule were clueless!  Now, how can it be that the very Creator of the Universe, the One who sustains all, steps into His own creation unnoticed by those closest to the event?  Granted, the shepherds noticed, but they were told by the angels (apparently the event was so momentous in Heaven, that they could not keep silent!).  It reminded me of this song (http://youtu.be/4W8K3OhxVSw) by Joy Williams.


So the question still boggles my mind: how could we not have known?

No comments:

Post a Comment